Fabulous New Me: Day One

So, yea verily, it is time to become more Fabulous. Sonja* has a Plan that she has successfully executed on patients in the past; we will do it now. It has taken a couple weeks to assemble everything we need, including reinstituting spring water delivery and acquiring a digital scale (Alberto, the talking scale who only speaks Spanish). In the meantime we have begun inching towards our new rule-set, which involves a lot of meat and vegetables and not much else. Sonja has promised a hunger-free program; she’s promised an average of a pound lost per day. Since I want to lose a LOT of weight, I like that pace, as long as there will be no suffering.

Day 1

We get up and weigh in and take our morning lemon-water: this last is a thing we’ve been doing for a few years. Breakfast consists of fruit (first), a single piece of whole-grain toast, 2 or 3 eggs and tea. I’m using the Cholula sauce on mine. This breakfast is not outside the standard deviation for me. After breakfast Rach & I do the dishes (eating like this seems to generate an alarming number of pots & pans, and we’re catching up from last night) I do my morning check-in on Facebook and Twitter, and we convene in the living room for yoga.

I’m way out of practice on yoga; we’ve begun doing yoga intermittently again lately, but the 45-minute DVD we’ve got is still a big deal for me. Today it’s interrupted 3 times by Mark, who needs me to weigh in on our ongoing wrangling with a wholesaler who will (for the moment, at least) remain nameless. By the end I’m as tired as I would have been had we worked straight through, but without the pleasant relaxation.

As soon as we finish that, it’s time for our prescribed morning snack: no matter that, because we got up at 9, it’s now about 1: it’s snacktime. Fruit and yogurt all around. Finally I settle into the study–or try to. My head has been involved in conflict in the office already today; there will be no writing. I turn my attention to other tasks instead. Mark takes a couple of conference calls, and then it’s time for lunch.

Lunch is supposed to be salad followed by meat and steamed vegetables. I avail myself of some smoked brisket from the smoker bar at Whole Foods, but usually when I eat this it’s in the course of a pleasant tapas-style meal in which I’m drinking wine and enjoying a variety of cheeses and breads. No bread after breakfast on the Plan; and no cheese, at all.

Let me repeat that, because it is the main cause of suffering: NO CHEESE. AT ALL.

Suffice it to say I am bored by my lunch and abandon the effort before I’m really satisfied. This will create problems later.

As promised, by about 4 I’ve got a problem: I am not hungry, particularly, but the feeling I get in my brain when I’ve forgotten to eat has settled in. The Plan does not allow extra meals; I’ve got to tough it out until dinner. The miasma recedes a bit by 6 or so, and I finally start getting things done; it’s a struggle to pull myself away to prepare Yet Another Meal. (It’s worth noting that we’re preparing all our meat on the grill these days, so either Mark or Daniel is preparing the meat. All I have to do is salad and some vegetables.) I’m tired (remember the out-of-practice yoga this morning?) and I’ve cleaned the kitchen twice so far today; I drag myself through the process.

This is a thing I remember from last time we made a lifestyle change, which –even though the hard-core routine we’re observing now is temporary–I already recognize we are engaged in. The first couple weeks are exhausting, and I can’t seem to get out of the kitchen. Then I’ll get in better shape and develop routines in the kitchen, and the whole thing will fall together. Right now I just want to go sit down.

At dinner I load up on protein, though I do eat my salad (first!) and my veggies. I should empty the dishwasher again, but instead I retreat to the study a while. We still have our evening walk to fit in, and we’ve got to take out the trash.

Man, I hope Alberto the talking scale has good news tomorrow morning.

*bff and homeopath




Note from Day 2: I lost 2 pounds yesterday. (Mark lost even more!) Certain areas of my body are still tired from yesterday’s exercise. But other than that I feel good today. More as thing develop…

Explore posts in the same categories: a writer's life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: